Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Some Progress

I haven't been really posting anything after the Hello Arduino post, but I've been making some progress in getting to know Arduino hardware and its API as well as Processing. I have been playing with LEDs for a while testing some very simple Arduino code but I won't post any images on that. Then I started playing around with the sensors because eventually the outcome of this independent study class will have to deal with analysis data driving the system. I have two sensors on me so far:
- Sound Sensor DFR0034 (from DFROBOT)
- Light Sensor from HITEC

For these quick tests I created a  simple interface in Grasshopper (as it most likely will be the choice for the virtual environment implementation at least for the thesis project), which is a status bar moving up and down according to the value that it receives. This was attempted for the purpose of testing the ability to feed the sensor values and drive geometry in real time in Grasshopper. To receive data in GH I used FireFly components released a few weeks ago by Andrew Payne. As a remark though it was running pretty slow - I'm sure it is a mistake on my side and that I didn't calibrate things well enough on either end.
Another exercise was to create a Processing interface that would be driven by sensor input transmitted from Arduino. I was trying to come up with something useful and wrote a very simple application that shows the status bar of values constantly fed by Arduino. In addition to that the voltage gets recalculated into the level of reference intensity in dB (relative to ambient environment).

Hopefully I will be back with some more stuff ASAP on the light sensor that I have.














No comments:

Post a Comment